Thursday, August 25, 2011

present and purposeful

Whenever I post something about marriage or loving my honey, I feel a little guilty. I hesitate because I have a lot of friends that aren't married, but would really like to be. It all seems a little unfair, especially since being married wasn't something I always dreamed about. I didn't grow up fantasizing about my wedding day and made "if" statements about marriage, not "when." I figured I'd probably get married since most people do, but it was never a goal. My plan was to go to college, get a degree, travel the world, own a cute loft in the city, and maybe on my 30th birthday consider wishing for a husband. And then just because of the way life works, I ended up falling in love and getting married at the age of 22 after dating my now husband for only a year. Not to mention, hardly meeting any of the other goals I have... yet. Things seem a little backwards.

Whenever the topic of marriage and kids came up in a group of girls, I always felt like I couldn't relate. Sure I've had boyfriends and heartbreaks, but I didn't have an intense longing to be a wife and mother. And now I have those things (well, except the kids), I feel even more un-relatable. I don't want to cause any pain to my friends, especially the ones who know that it wasn't something I longed for and yet it happened to me. Life isn't fair. I don't know why my friends aren't married, especially since all of them are attractive, smart, funny, talented, and would make great spouses. I don't know why it happened for me and not them.

I do know, however, that there is purpose in every stage of life, unplanned or not. Getting married young, fast, and to a soldier was definitely not my plan, but it has been amazing. Maybe being 30 and single wasn't your plan, but it can be amazing if you let it be. There are things single girls can do that are a little difficult for married gals. The summer before I met my beau, I had a casual conversation with a friend that let to a whirlwind month long stay in another country. That would be a little difficult for me to do now. (Although my sweet husband who knows my heart for the nations and adventure wouldn't prohibit me going or anything, there is just another human being to consider now.) I'm learning things now, in this time, this place, and this current situation that I would have never learned anywhere or any time else. The same goes for whatever situation you are in. This life you are living may not be what you want it to be, but I want to encourage that this season is not in vain. There is value in it. You can live a purposeful single life. You can serve others, learn about yourself, go on adventures, make friends and do a whole lot of stuff you wouldn't be able to do in another time or place or situation. Please, dear sisters, don't take this time for granted. Marriage is wonderful, but so is singledom. Live in the present so you don't miss an experience you'll wish you could of had!

1 comment:

  1. again, well said. life is an adventure at all stages and should be enjoyed and lived fully. in fact, it was Christ Who said, "I have come that your joy may be made complete." He came to give us complete joy! now that's love!

    ReplyDelete